Windows 10 has become one of the most commonly used and popular operating systems developed by Microsoft. The company releases new updates for the operating system from time to time. When any new updates become available on Windows 10, they automatically get installed and downloaded on your computer system. Updating your system software is necessary to improve your device’s performance. New updates bring new features that you can easily use to have the best computing experience, and they also fix the bugs in your computer system. However, Microsoft always advises the users to keep their system’s software updated for security purposes. But you know, if you want, you can even pause the updates on your Windows computer. Are you a user of this operating system? Do you want to know how you can pause the updates on your computer system?
Sometimes, some updates contain bugs that can affect the performance of your computer system. Well, in that case, it’s best to pause such updates. There can be many Windows 10 users who might not know how they can disable the updates on their computer system. If you also don’t know how to do so, then don’t worry. You will get the procedure for this through the following article. Here, we have mentioned the technique you will need to use to pause the Windows 10 computer updates. So, read this entire post to get to the methods.
The Procedure to Pause Updates on Windows 10
If you notice problems due to the available updates on your Windows 10 computer system, you can pause them for up to 35 days. Multiple reasons can be responsible for pausing the updates on your Windows computer. But with the mentioned process, any user can easily and quickly disable the updates on their computer. You will be able to do so using the Windows Settings page. You can also use Windows Registry Editor or Group Policy feature. Here, we have provided you with all three methods for performing this task. So, let’s start with this step-by-step guide.
Method 1: The Steps to Pause Updates on Windows 10 Computer Using the Settings App
Using the Windows 10 Settings app, you can quickly pause the updates on your Windows 10 computer. Here are the steps that you must follow to proceed:
- To pause the updates on your Windows 10 computer according to this method, firstly, launch the Settings app on your computer. To launch the Settings on your computer, go to the “Start” menu and then click on the gear icon.
- Now, after reaching the Settings screen, go through the “Update and Security” option, and then click on the “Windows Update” option.
- And now, you will have to click on the option of “Pause Updates for 7 Days,” and then the operating system will not download the updates for the next seven days.
- If you want to add more time to the pause period, click again on the “Pause Updates for 7 Days” option, after which the pause time for Windows updates will be extended. Keep clicking on the option to pause the updates for up to 35 days. And that’s all.
Method 2: Pausing the Windows 10 Updates Using the Group Policy Feature
Here is another method that Windows 10 users can follow to pause updates on their computer system. Here’s how to proceed with this technique:
- To proceed with this technique, go to the “Start” menu and then in the search box, type “gpedit.msc” and proceed by pressing the enter key.
- The appearing results, click on the “Local Group Policy Editor” app to open it on your computer.
- And after reaching the Group Policy window, go through the following path: “Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.”
- And now, you will have to click twice on the “Configure Automatic Updates” policy given on the right side of your screen.
- Go through the “Disabled” option and turn off the policy. This will disable the automatic updates permanently.
- To proceed further, go through the “Apply” button and then click on the “Ok” option. And now, windows will disable the automatic updates on your computer. If you want, you can enable the updates manually. To do so, navigate to the “Settings” page and then click on the “Update and Security” option. And now, go through the option of “Windows Update.” Here, you will see if any update is available on your Windows computer, and you can easily download and install it.
Method 3: The Steps for Disabling the Updates Using Registry Editor on Windows 10
Windows users can also use the Registry Editor to pause the updates on their computer. Here’s how to do so:
- Start the procedure by clicking on the “Start” menu and then search for “regedit” using the Start menu search bar.
- After reaching the Registry Editor screen, you will have to go through the following path: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows” and then right-click on the Windows folder and from the sub-menu, select the option “New.” And now, go through the “Key” option.
- And now, assign a name to the new key and then press the enter key.
- And next, right-click on the new key you have created and then click on the “New” to open the sub-menu.
- Click on the option of “DWORD 32-bit” value.
- And then assign a new name to a key. For instance, you can name it “NoAutoUpdate” and then use the enter key. Click twice on the newly created key to change its value. Set its value as 1.
- At last, click on the “Ok” option and then restart your computer system.
So, these are the ways through which any Windows 10 user can pause the updates on their computer system. And this is all from us for now. To receive daily updates, please stay connected to our website.